Grades_Global__logo final 3png

Canadian Experience Class

Important Links

Get Free Assessment


Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

You can apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) if you have one year of skilled work experience in Canada within the past three years and wish to become a permanent resident.

Express Entry processes application for the Canadian Experience Class. Before applying for permanent residency, eligible candidates must create an Express Entry profile online and receive an invitation to apply.

CEC is an excellent path to permanent residency for temporary foreign workers, including international students. Candidates with Canadian work experience get a “head start” over others in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

How does the CEC benefit you?

Several federal and provincial governments have worked hard to encourage temporary foreign workers and international students to settle in Canada. IRCC, Statistics Canada, and academic research show that skilled workers with Canadian experience will likely succeed in Canadian jobs.

The fact that CEC immigrants are young and middle-aged and possess high levels of education, work experience, and education, as well as building social and professional networks in Canada, makes them successful. Canadians can also get more Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points under Express Entry. Therefore, they have a better chance of obtaining permanent residency.

In most cases, CEC candidates who are thriving under Express Entry can get permanent residency within six months.

CEC winners don’t have to prove to IRCC that they have the funds to support themselves financially once they get permanent residency, unlike the other two Express Entry programs.

Qualifications for CEC membership

The following minimum requirements must be met by applicants to be eligible to apply under CEC. The requirements are as follows:

  • A candidate must have at least 12 months of full-time (or equivalent part-time) technical, skilled, or professional work experience in one or more occupations classified as skill type 0, A, or B within the last three years before making an application.
  • If their job falls under NOC 0 or A, they must meet CLB level 7; if it falls under NOC B, they must meet CLB level 5.
  • You should do so if you plan to live and work outside of Quebec.
  • The application process can be completed while the applicant is still in Canada. In addition, individuals no longer employed in Canada are also eligible to apply for the Canadian Experience Class as long as they apply within six months of leaving their employment.
  • A popular option for international students who have worked professionally or technically for at least one year is the Canadian Experience Class. After completing a program or course of study at a Canadian educational institution and acquiring the necessary work experience, it provides a fast and straightforward route to permanent residency.
  • Under this program, work experience gained through self-employment and while a student does not count.

Application for the Canadian Experience Class

  • You will need a work permit to work in Canada
  • A minimum of one year of work in Canada
  • You must also meet other eligibility requirements
  • Creating an Express Entry profile
  • A permanent residency invitation (ITA) will be sent to you
  • The applicant must complete a medical exam with an IRCC-recognized panel physician, provide a police clearance certificate, and submit an electronic application
  • Status confirmation as a permanent resident

A guide to calculating Canadian work experience

Your work experience must be paid work, such as work where you earn wages or commissions. No credit is given for volunteer work or unpaid internships.

Part-time hours can add up to 1,560, whether you work 15 hours or less weekly. Working multiple part-time jobs will help you get the hours you need!

A skilled worker, according to the Canadian National Occupational Classification, has the following skills:

  • Managerial jobs (level 0 skills)
  • A professional job (skill type A)
  • Trades and technical jobs (skill type B)

What is the immigration process with CEC?

Express Entry is how the IRCC processes skilled worker applications for three programs, like the Canadian Experience Class. The CEC might suit you if you’ve lived in Canada and gained experience. A tradesperson may also qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

First, you must ensure you’re eligible for CEC or another Express Entry program. When you sign up for Express Entry, you have to make a profile on the IRCC’s website. IRCC holds permanent residence invitation draws every two weeks as part of its Express Entry program.

Age, education, language skills, work experience, and Canadian experience influence CRS. IRCC requires you to submit a completed application within a specific deadline if you get an invitation to apply (ITA). It usually takes the IRCC 6 months or less to process an application.

How Can We Help You Apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)?

Canadian Experience Class has helped thousands of skilled workers and students get permanent residency. Our immigration lawyers can assess your case and recommend the best action. Our Express Entry Application Service lets you get into the pool quickly and with a profile that gives you the best chance. Get in touch with us!

Need Consultation?

Top Rated By Customers and Immigration Firms With 100% Success Rate.